Cans for the Community is a non-profit organization providing financial support to other non-profit organizations in Douglas County, Kansas and surrounding communities by recycling aluminum beverage containers.
Recent Donation Recipients
Catch A Break
Show All Recipients
Senior Resource Center
About Our Organization
Cans for the Community was formed in May of 2005 in Lawrence, Kansas with the belief that the simple act of recycling aluminum cans could benefit our community in more than one way. Aluminum can recycling saves valuable resources, energy, time and money AND it generates funds for our community.
Cans for the Community volunteers collect aluminum cans for recycling from businesses, apartment complexes, community recycling drop-off bins, and at local events such as KU football games. All proceeds from recycling are donated to local non-profit organizations.
Aluminum can recycling bins are distributed to participating businesses in Douglas County. Volunteers service these bins regularly. There are also eight aluminum can recycling drop-off bins for households and smaller businesses located at:
- Checkers, 2300 Louisiana Street
- Dillons, 1015 W 23rd Street
- Dillons, 4701 W 6th Street
- Hillcrest Shopping Center, 9th and Centennial Drive
- Hy-Vee, 6th and Monterey Way
- Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, 15th (Bob Billings Pkwy) and Iowa Street
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital, north of main entrance on Arkansas Street
- Miller Mart, Wakarusa Drive and Clinton Parkway
- On The Rocks, 1818 Massachusetts Street
- Trinity Lutheran Church, 1245 New Hampshire Street
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Linda Klinker, Chair